Design and Production Manager Wildlife World19 November 2021
40 hours a week, full time, salary £30-40k, DOE
Wildlife World is an award-winning designer and manufacturer of wildlife products based in Tetbury, Gloucestershire. We pride ourselves in designing products that are fit for purpose using sustainable timber, recycled plastics and other materials, supplying a wide portfolio of customers in the UK, Europe, and USA.
We are looking for a Design and Production Manager to lead the workshop team, at our workshops and office site at Chavenage, nr Tetbury. You will need a high standard of woodworking skills alongside a flair for design and production activity
JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY:
- To plan, manage and carry out production activities in line with our customer order and delivery schedule.
- To support the design of new products and their conversion into tangible SKUs ready for production and in line with the company’s business plans.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- To support the company’s daily product delivery plan by running the workshop to a very high standard, ensuring products are manufactured on time and in full, and to the company’s exacting and high-quality specification.
- To manage the workshop team, helping them to schedule their workload effectively and efficiently, while motivating and encouraging them to achieve manufacturing works orders in a timely fashion and high level of quality.
- To manage the production systems to ensure an efficient running of the department. These to include:
- Regular team briefings.
- Frequent staff briefings, communications, updates and toolbox talks.
- Regular 1-2-1s and job chats with all staff.
- Be responsible for machine installation, repair, maintenance and servicing to ensure all aspects of production are able to be carried out and ensure daily product delivery plan can be achieved. Additionally, to arrange routine inspection of Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV).
- Ensuring that all machinery training is carried out on time, including laser cutter skills and CNC programming.
- To support the New Product Development process – to ensure we design and deliver a complete product, with adequate packaging and ready to be offered for commercial sale. These include:
- Driving new product designs, ensuring they are suitable for target species, cost effective and suitable for mass production.
- Product drawing on CAD and creating of prototypes.
- Research markets/species requirements looking for opportunities.
- Provide a link between NPD and supply chain.
- To undertake occasional direct customer contact, in order to gain an accurate customer brief and deliver a commercially suitable product. Products can be Wildlife World standard or Bespoke products.
- Subcontracting of work to other suppliers to farm out production that fits better at other sites rather than our own.
- Day to day purchasing of approved stock/packaging/consumables as required to keep production flowing smoothly.
- To manage and back up your team to deliver excellent production service, and delegate work where necessary.
- To support the EOT transition for the Wildlife Family and championing democratic working.
- To be an important member of the design and production teams, contributing to delivering of each department’s projects, goals and aims.
- On a continuing personal development level (CPD), to seek to improve all aspects of the warehousing and despatching processes – customer focus, customer care, effectiveness of logistics processes, effectiveness of the administration process, effectiveness of the product marketing process, etc.
- To undertake occasional tasks that are needed in a small business, as and when you are requested.
- Excellent production, design and CAD technical skills.
- Strong organisational and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritise well.
- Attention to detail - accurate and methodical in work.
- Clear communication skills at all levels, especially verbal.
- The ability to develop in-depth knowledge about our Wildlife World products and markets.
- Calm, reliable, trustworthy, unflappable.
- Cheerful and professional – will see the job through.
- A good business sense - numerate and commercially aware.
- Confidence, enthusiasm, self-motivation and determination.
- Appropriate production experience (ideally 3 years +) in a small/medium sized commercial, fast-moving organisation.