Plant Manager30 October 2019
Glennon Brothers (www.glennonbrothers.ie) is a leading timber processor in Ireland & UK with a strong growth story. As a leader in the Green Tech industry, Glennon Brothers is a growing, dynamic and innovative organisation with ambitious growth plans. As the company prepares for continued growth and investment in Ireland, Glennon Brothers is now seeking to appoint a Plant Manager for the Fermoy sawmilling business which employs 120 people.
manufacturing practice and lean principles. They will be responsible for all Production, Maintenance and Safety, Health, Environment, Quality (SHEQ) on the Fermoy sawmill site. They will work closely with Forestry, Sales and the Head of Group Operations to manage the Fermoy sawmill production capacity to deliver on the Group’s strategic objectives.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Actively promote and prioritise a safe working environment for our people.
• Working closely with SHEQ Manager, ensure appropriate policies, procedures, staff and processes are in place to meet the safety, health environment, and quality assurance standards.
• Develop the Fermoy sawmill production plan to maximise the return to the business from the sawmill, working closely with Forestry and Sales managers.
• Contribute to the development of the overall production strategy for the Group.
• Monitor the production performance of the Fermoy sawmill against the budget through a set of agreed KPIs.
• Drive efficiencies at all levels in the sawmill, through short/medium term projects.
• Drive standardisation of approaches, practices and reporting across the sawmill through a culture of continuous improvement.
• Lead and support the people agenda on site from a recruitment, onboarding, development and employee engagement perspective in conjunction with HR.
• Establish a regular pattern of (daily, weekly and bi-weekly) production meetings within the sawmill to ensure the delivery of the production plan.
• Form strong working relationships with supervisors to support them in their roles and to enable them to share knowledge and best practices.
• Contribute to the development of the capital investment strategy plan and the implementation of capital and NPD projects for the Fermoy site.
• Oversee smooth and efficient operations across the sawmill from log intake through primary and secondary production.
• Develop a strong culture of operational excellence and continuous improvement.
Essential Skills & Experience
• Qualification in Engineering, Operations, Manufacturing or related field or equivalent knowledge and experience.
• Minimum 5 years’ Plant / Site Management experience is essential; sawmilling experience is an advantage.
• Knowledge and experience to promote a safe working environment and ensure compliance with appropriate regulatory standards.
• Reduces complexity and increases efficiency in processes to maximise outcome/return.
• Leads by example, with a “can do” approach, passion, energy and a strong work ethic.
• Very strong organisation skills and attention to detail.
• Drive to exceed goals and push self and others towards high levels of performance.
• Makes good decisions and delegates responsibility and accountability to the appropriate level.
• Understands the importance of managing and developing people.
• Creates a climate in which people can do their best.
• Open to change with a capacity to deal comfortably with risk and uncertainty.
• Strong communication skills with the ability to build trusted relationships.
Applications in the strictest confidence, with full CV by email to
Scott Shiells at: [email protected]