Senior Technical Officer23 January 2019
JOB TITLE: Senior Technical Officer
REPORTING TO: BWF Technical Director
The British Woodworking Federation is the leading representative body for the woodworking and joinery manufacturing industry in the UK. The organisation has grown to represent over 700 members drawn from manufacturers, distributors and installers of timber doors, windows, conservatories, staircases, all forms of architectural joinery, as well as suppliers to the industry.
Our Build It Better with Wood strategy looks at growing and improving the market. To deliver the plan we need to engage more effectively with our various audiences and vitally with our own membership community. Underpinning the Build It Better With Wood Campaign are a variety core themes focusing on being more productive, more profitable and ensuring our members and their employees have a safe and healthy working environment.
The Senior Technical Officer, will work closely with the Technical Director ensuring Members can gain help and advice covering a number of core key areas such as technical help, health and safety and regulatory requirements. The Senior Technical Officer will also be responsible for the management and operational side of the BWF Code of Conduct. This includes carrying out the audits and working with members to ensure they are compliant. The role is a critical liaison point between new and existing members of the BWF, the BWF team, our regulators and also in establishing new programmes and services.
The is a hands-on role that will require some knowledge of building relationships, account management, excellent written and verbal communication skills, some knowledge of health and safety in a manufacturing environment and some understanding of auditing process and the underlying belief that we can change the world. It is expected that the role will be field based with travel within the UK expected.
The responsibilities are:
- Day-to-day management, administration of the BWF Code of Conduct Scheme
- Carrying out Code of Conduct audits and following up with the member to ensure they are compliant
- To work with the Technical Director and Scheme Manager to ensure technical support and guidance meets the needs of the BWF members.
- To attend BWF Technical Meetings and support the Technical Director in the development of any new BWF technical publications and best practise guides
- Managing and answering technical enquires in line with BWF procedures
- Manage the ongoing H&S enquiries and to produce any guidance when required
- Carry out new member visits as and when requested to ensure potential members are aware of why they are joining the BWF
- Aligning BWF activity with wider timber promotion
- Carry out audits and develop new auditing processes