Timberworks Foreman - Grosvenor TimberWorks27 March 2023
Location: Chester, CH3 9AN
Salary: c. £35,000 per annum
Duration: Permanent / Full Time
Hours: 40 per week, Monday to Friday
We are looking for a Timberworks Foreman to join our Grosvenor TimberWorks team. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in a new, purpose-built timber processing site.
Grosvenor TimberWorks is a new commercial forestry venture – based on Grosvenor’s Rural Estates at Eaton in Cheshire – bringing together a progressive and sustainable approach to woodland management with the processing of innovative timber products, combining a dedication to traditional methods of wood craftsmanship with a long-term commitment to UK forestry.??
Grosvenor TimberWorks currently manufactures bespoke construction timber products and is in the process of developing new specialist product lines from our state-of-the art facility, Hatton Heath Mill. To find out more please visit our website www.grosvenor.com/rural-estates/grosvenor-timberworks
Grosvenor is an international organisation whose activities span urban property, food and agtech, rural estate management and support for philanthropic initiatives. Grosvenor Rural Estates is responsible for the?long-term stewardship?of three?rural estates in the United Kingdom.? Working to?protect, enhance, and restore sensitive environmental habitats?within these unique locations?and?improving?local?property and places,?our aim is to be a leading example of sustainability within the rural economy -?contributing to the economic, social, and environmental wellbeing of the communities we are part of.?
Reporting to the Head of Forestry, the Foreman will manage the day-to-day operational aspects of the timber processing operation (including firewood and biomass chip). This is a hands-on role and means working with the team on most days.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Helping to establish excellent standards, productivity, efficiency, and safety
- Ensuring that the timberworks achieve the outputs specified in the business plan
- Supervising a team, including permanent and casual employees, as well as contractors
- Responsibility for ensuring that timber is processed efficiently, safely and on time to meet customer needs
- Ensuring the timberworks is correctly resourced to achieve the required outputs across milling, biomass and firewood
- Managing the supply of timber for processing in close liaison with our suppliers.
- Supervising the operation of the sawmill, timber kilns and wood working machinery.
- Working on the sawmill line, including loading the log deck and removing waste wood, cutting to length and crosscutting, as and when required.
- Ensure all health and safety responsibilities are fulfilled
We are keen to speak to people about this opportunity who have the following skills and experience:
- An excellent understanding and knowledge of manufacturing processes, and the logistics of these, through proven experience, and ideally within a timber/wood related environment.
- Experience of managing a team, with the ability to communicate well, set clear objectives, listen to others, and motivate the team
- The ability to balance day-to-day practical tasks as a hands-on Foreman, with office-based management and administrative responsibilities.
- The ability to work under their own initiative, have good organisational skills and self-discipline, together with accurate record keeping and sound problem-solving skills.
As well as a competitive salary, we also offer an excellent benefits package, including electric car scheme, generous pension, wellbeing support, gym membership contribution, employee discounts and more via our employee benefits portal.
How to Apply
If you would like to become part of our team at Grosvenor TimberWorks, and this sounds like the opportunity for you, then please send your CV to Recruitment.EEO@grosvenor.com