Coillte Forests announced a 3% increase on the volume of logs sold, with the total rising to 2.73 million m3. Sawlog sales increased by 2% to 1.8 million m3, while sales of pulpwood increased by 5% to 920,000m3.

The ongoing decrease in margin on log sales, down by 4% in 2005, was identified as a serious concern.

The sale of waste management sites and that of a major wind farm resulted in a good year for Coillte’s land development businesses.

Volume sales increased for its SmartPly OSB manufacturing division, following a strong performance in 2004, although prices were lower in 2005.

The group plans to optimise production potential of its forest and improve margins in 2006 and has also confirmed it is negotiating to buy Weyerhaeuser Products Ltd’s MDF business in Clonmel, Co Tipperary.