The wood and laminate flooring market is predicted to continue its rapid growth, reaching a value of £470m in 2008, according to new research.

  The “Wood/Laminate Floorcoverings Market – UK 2005”, published by Cheltenham-based AMA Research Ltd, says the sector has grown by nearly 200% since 1998 and will continue to expand in the short to medium term, albeit at a lower rate.

A fashion for natural interior decorative products and the influence of lifestyle media is credited with underpinning the growth.

AMA says key trends in the past two years have included a move to darker and more exotic wood species within the solid/engineered flooring market, with a greater variety of board lengths and widths.

The report describes laminates as dominating the sector over the past five years, but not at the expense of solid/engineered wood which has also achieved market growth.

The domestic sector has an estimated 65% value share of the wood/laminate floorcoverings market, with the remaining 35% being contract installations.