Area Sales Manager for South East UK6 December 2017
Are you an experienced field sales manager with good commercial appreciation and understanding of the Timber and Builders merchant sector? We are looking for a driven, sales professional with proven ability to develop new accounts and build successful long term relationships who likes to own and succeed in their work and who can cover the South East of England. We offer an environment in which to develop plus excellent package of benefits to successful candidates.
Södra Wood Ltd is part of the Swedish owned Sodra Group and is the UK and Ireland's leading distributor of planed strength graded softwood and engineered wood products to the roof truss and timber frame manufacturing industries, as well as to timber and builders’ merchants. Established in the UK in1983, with our Head Office in Cirencester, we operate as a specialist just-in-time distributor to national customers such as Travis Perkins and Selco as well as to regional and local companies. The timber, from sawmills in Finland and Sweden, already kiln dried, planed, strength graded, packaged and fully wrapped, is shipped to four distribution terminals in the UK and Ireland and then on to the customer.
The company employs over 40 staff, has a turnover of £140m+ and works with a group of long standing partners and subcontractors, distribution terminals, sea shipping and haulage companies. We have won many awards for our products and services and pride ourselves on our professional and personal approach.
Södra Group is the largest forest-owner association in Sweden and an international forest industry Group. The operations in Scandinavia are based on responsible forestry and on industries where we convert the raw material into sawn timber, paper and dissolving pulp, and green energy.Södra is the largest forest-owner association in Sweden and an international forest industry Group. Our operations are based on responsible forestry and on industries where we convert the raw material into sawn timber, paper and dissolving pulp, and green energy.
We offer an excellent benefits and remuneration package and have a proven track record in developing and retaining our employees. Our core values are: Value-generating relationships and long-term approach.
Reporting to: Sales Director for Merchants.
Regional field based sales role covering the South East of the UK, responsible for achieving the Merchants sales budget in that region.
To maintain sales to an established customer base and to generate new business.
To be fully responsible for proactively managing their accounts, from achieving sales targets to maintaining a high level of customer service.
- To achieve the budgeted level of sales of each of the Merchant products within your region at or above the margin agreed with the Sales Director.
- To build long term, value generating relationships with your customers in line with Södra’s strategy.
- Work within our ISO approved system to ensure all quality issues are dealt with and resolved in a timely manner.
- To assist in ensuring that stock held at the terminals over 40 weeks old is sold and never reaches 52 weeks old. Also, to ensure any quarantined stock is promptly sold.
- To ensure that all sales are within the credit terms approved by the company.
Position main tasks and responsibilities
- Working with your colleagues to produce and deliver the sales budgets of each of the Merchant products within your region at or above the margin agreed with the Sales Director.
- To regularly visit all established customers within the region and produce call weekly reports in the agreed format.
- To understand and manage customer rebates.
- To generate new business by seeking and developing new opportunities within the region.
- To ensure that the company retains and builds upon its position as a market leader in this sector.
- To be aware of and act upon any market changes that may influence the company’s objectives in this sector.
- To negotiate sales contracts for all products within the guidelines set by the Sales Director.
- To agree the sales of old/quarantine and over-stocked items within the guidelines set by the Sales Director.
- To resolve quality issues and complaints within the guidelines set by the Sales Director.
Education and job experience
- An industry professional with a significant, successful working career in sales.
- Commercial appreciation and understanding of the Timber and Builders merchant sector.
- Proven ability to manage National Accounts and Key Accounts.
- Proven ability to develop new accounts.
Due to the large geographical area, candidates will be required to travel extensively within the region so should be prepared to stay away from home on a regular basis
Competencies needed for the position
Drive:- the individual needs to have the motivation and drive to self-start and develop well thought out plans that are then followed through.
Team working:- works well with various teams; internal, operational & credit, pro-actively involving others to develop profitable growth.
Delivery:- delivers own and team targets to meet the business objectives, constantly monitoring own and team performance and positively acting upon findings.
Excellent communication skills and an ability to deal and negotiate with people at all levels of an organisation.
Excellent presentation skills:- an ability to present in a formal and planned way, providing conclusions and recommendations to gain buy in and support.
Finance:- solid working understanding of margins, profitability, budgets & excel.
Customer service:- constantly seeking opportunities to network and build relationships to maximise opportunities. Manages customer expectations and works with the team to deliver them.
Decision making:- ability to close the deal and take responsibility.
Salary: Highly competitive salary commensurate with experience
Hours of work: 40 per week, 8am – 5pm with 1 hour for lunch
Holidays: 25 days per year plus 8 statutory holidays
Performance bonus: Annual payment dependent upon company and individual performance
Contributory pension scheme: Generous company contribution
Other generous benefits such as health and dental cover