Managing Director – Olley & Sons19 January 2023
Specialist Timber Products Distribution
Salary – depending on experience + car + bonus & benefits
This is an excellent opportunity to join a well-established specialist timber products importing and distribution business where there is good growth potential across the multiple markets they serve. The business is part of a family-owned multi-sector multi-million independent group who have a fantastic track record of growth and acquisition. They are long-term investors who trust their business managers to run their businesses as if they were their own.
Trading from a site in a good location they have a great reputation for customer service, significant stockholding and the ability to quickly source and deliver specialist orders.
With the right leader, this business could expand considerably, primarily by broadening its customer base and geographical reach. There will be freedom to trade in an autonomous environment with no bureaucracy and the support of the parent company and its head office where required.
Potential candidates should have:
- A successful track record of profitably running and growing a small-medium-sized building products distribution business as General Manager/Managing Director or Regional Director. Specific timber products industry & product knowledge is naturally a distinct advantage but not essential, we’re open to considering people with other building products experience.
- Can successfully operate in such an environment without the support structures of a larger corporate and can cope with the pressure of needing to achieve results
- A proactive, inquisitive, common-sense approach
- Strong, positive communication skills. Able to have difficult conversations when required
- Willingness to roll sleeves up and always looking for opportunities to improve the business
- To be customer-facing and enjoy doing this. Knowledge of the local customer base is an advantage, but again not a prerequisite
- Fit in with and positively develop the culture within the organisation, ensuring respect for all
- A self-starter who can operate at pace, making decisions in a confident manner – no procrastination here please!
- Energetic and creative, resilient and tenacious. Willing to embrace the challenge
- Can deliver the right level of information up and down the structure as required
- Leadership of the highest calibre: inspire, lead, motivate, and engage with people throughout the business
- Commercially and financially aware
- You will own the P&L and be responsible for creating and delivering the strategy to achieve this
- Build strong relationships with the suppliers, looking for opportunities where you can work together for mutual benefit
- You must live within a reasonable commuting distance of South East London/North Kent. There will be some travel locally within the role. The nature of the business and this role means that this isn’t really a “Work from home” role or environment.
- Increase turnover in a profitable manner
- Further improve customer service. Give customers a reason to use the business
- Improve engagement throughout the team and create a positive, winning culture
- Develop potential successors, with a view to future career progression
- Identify opportunities for investment
- Identify opportunities for growth in associated product/service areas– how can the business add value in a competitive sector
- Fully utilise the facilities/capabilities of the business
- Naturally ensure the business is trading legally with health and safety paramount at all times
- Identify opportunities for growth – both within existing customers and markets and new ones!
The future is very bright for this business. Come and be a part of it.
To apply send your CV to Nick Hardy via firstname.lastname@example.org